Saturday, February 9, 2019

Our Best Frenemies

I am in denial that my computer is dying. As I slog through processes that should be quick, I hear it, grinding, trying so hard to still be up-to-date. I'm cheering it on and laughing as I realize this probably comes from my change-averse tendencies. Do you know that's a thing? 

Jon and I took this marriage assessment and met with a counselor and Jon is called, "Change-oriented" while clear on the opposite end, my score sits, "Change-averse". Neither is wrong but it explains why so often Jon is innovating and undaunted by change and I'm still clawing and trying to hang onto the way it has always been. We both are growing in our styles and with the self-awareness, working to give space and accommodate each other's style.  (Though, depressingly, in most American-worldview books, the people who succeed are high on the risk and change scale). 

Change usually feels awesome when it's my new norm. :)

A pop-by visit with a neighbor, sorting, washing and drying kilos of corn to prepare to make a homemade beer. The women working together had light-hearted attitudes while doing a tedious job and reminded me of the hubbub of applesauce day growing up. 

Speaking of change-averse and off-track, here is a picture of my cousins and brothers at my Grandma's funeral. It makes me proud and emotional every time I see it. I also feel old as I want to say, "How did you all get so big?".

Our good, good Father, is always pushing us into change, and my word of 2019 is ROOTEDNESS. I am praying for this and our kids, that our roots are so deep in Christ, no matter what comes, we will not be blown over with our roots deep in the only true stability, God himself. 

These two, they are among my greatest gifts. I call them "best frenemies" as they deeply love AND deeply annoy each other. I realize if I would have seen God's plan ahead of time, I would have been so scared to raise another set of "twins" far from family support. 



So thankful for a God who knows and loves me and sweetly and mercifully pulls me along, giving me so much more than I can ask or imagine. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awe...change. You must be related to Sarah. She doesn't like change very much either. I'm like Jon and love change...Yikes!

Love seeing your family grow!

Klint

J and M said...

This post minister to me in so many ways. Praying with you that we wont be blown over because we're firmly rooted in Christ. God is so faithful and near. Love you.

Teresa said...

Frenemies. I like that term. They're sure cute frenemies. :)
Why do we tend to view change as a negative? I think it's because we're human.

Prayers!