Monday, February 25, 2019

The deluge of rain on the tin roof currently is drowning out the noise of Jon bathing the littles and J and A pounding a little keyboard and singing at their top of their lungs. The rain is surprising everyone, like we need to tell the sky, "This is dry season, remember?" I'm perched on the edge of a bed so covered in piles of clean and partially folded laundry there is barely room for me. My computer has to charge while we have power. Our power has been great lately, like if I were a superstitious person, I would continue to not acknowledge the improvement in case I change it. ;) As I am on a roll of unrelated and insignificant information, thanks to our visitors, we've uncovered Tiger's allergy. It's to corn and all things corn syrup, corn starch and it is such a relief to be able to make progress on his health!

A quote a loved this week from @shannanwrites, "Lord, give us the guts to sift through the mundane and consider it all gold". I love this thought.
The kids and I crammed into a bajaj...a mundane adventure. :)


In the not mundane, we just had a fab visit from Jake, Meika, Charlie and Leo. Jake is Jon's brother. More photos from this visit to come. 

Do you remember the Christmas Ox? His hide is now laying on our floor. I have very mixed feelings about this and he is missing small patches of fur because ants ate the hide while it was being cured. Here are a few more pictures of the day.
Ethiopian Christmas morning, strong coffee, spicy stew, sour, thick injera.

Tiger and Miss T observe the butcher.

At this point, Miss T, who loves to have a good discussion had insisted to me so many times it was a chicken being butchered, I stopped correcting her. So her one-sided conversation sounding like this:
"It's chicken...It's cow now...It's chicken...no, it's cow...It's cow now..."

Snack time! A vegan delight as meat doesn't top my list while watching an animal be dismantled with machetes, knives and then there is the part with the ax. 
Dividing up the piles of meat. The part closest to the camera is the stomach. 

We were so honored to be a part of this and gave some of our share away and pressure cooked the rest. To eat on a less graphic day.
Christmas evening brought the boys, singing, and pounding their sticks in hope for bread or birr. We gave birr and glow sticks.

Miss T is so near her 2nd birthday, loving to see her personality emerge.
A very fun handful.

Love to all.

2 comments:

Mike and Shari Fiechter said...

LOVE that quote! And your very fun (and truthful) description of Miss T. I miss that kiddo! We look forward to seeing all of you in a few short months.

Margo said...

Great pictures! I think I'll add the whole meat/butchering/then-eat-it to my prayers for you. I am fine without meat... I can't imagine watching all of that and then being expected to eat it. Shows how sheltered I am... Thanks for the update. It's always fun to hear how things are going in your part of the world!! Love - Margo