Saturday, March 14, 2020

Though The Earth Gives Way

-->
The dust ominously is blowing in from the Sahara Desert this morning, blocking our morning sunshine with its bleak, thick presence. I don’t know what is covered in USA news but there has also been a thick cloud of locusts decimating crops around East Africa. This will very likely cause famine in regions.

Ethiopia had it's first confirmed COVID-19 case yesterday. So did Kenya. Jon is required to leave Ethiopia based on some immigration issues, so he is heading to Kenya. With the rapidly changing worldwide landscape, and rumors swirling of government quarantines, the only thing to do is settle into the unknown, trying not to speculate but knowing God is sovereign.

UPDATED: Things are changing so quickly, borders are closing, we need prayers for wisdom, if Jon is required to travel, we may all need to stick together.

UPDATED AGAIN: I have eaten an entire bar or chocolate. Just Jon will travel to Kenya on Sunday night. Pray for an expedient process and quick return on a visa so he will reunite quickly. 

Waiting in Addis Ababa at the immigration office. We turned in our green cards.
When I think of COVID-19 here, with the vulnerable populations and lacking medical care, my heart is overwhelmed. But I marvel at a big and mighty God who has the whole world in his hands. 

As I think of possible quarantine, my privilege is not lost on me. It doesn't mean my family will be hungry, or that we are shoved into a tiny, one-room, hot, tin house. As I think of possible famine, this doesn't mean my family will starve.

I also realize how something that can stop the world in it's tracks has been revealing to me about where my hope lies and-YIKES-dare I confess-my hidden idols. Like idols of being able to freely travel, idols of security and comfort, independence. 
Someone turned 3! I can't quite handle the fact that our youngest is 3. 

Today, I breathe deeply in knowing God is in control.
46 God is our refuge and strength,
    a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
    though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam,
    though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved;
    God will help her when morning dawns.
The nations rage, the kingdoms totter;
    he utters his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah
Come, behold the works of the Lord,
    how he has brought desolations on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
    he breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
    he burns the chariots with fire.
10 “Be still, and know that I am God.
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth!”
11 The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah



1 comment:

Margo said...

Oh Amy. We are praying for you all. I just keep telling myself that none of "this" is a surprise to God! We make plans and we think we're in control, but that is so far from the truth! Psalm 46 is such a great Psalm - thanks for the reminder. Another Psalm that I've been thinking about is Psalm 112... Even in darkness light dawns for the upright... Surely he [the righteous man] will never be shaken... He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD. His heart is secure, he will have no fear... Love you all!! Margo