Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Interceding for Alimitu

When she sat down beside us in the shafts of light coming through the mud window, I was startled to see Alimitu’s diminishing frame. As a joyful mother of eight, her physical decline is alarming. She and her husband have traveled to the best hospital in Bahir Dar and then Addis Ababa and nothing seems to help. She is slowly starving to death as she inexplicably cannot swallow all food and most liquid. Over the course of almost a year, the family has asked for help and prayer. 

(Not Alimitu in the photo)


Please pray with us for the miracle of healing in Alimitu’s life and for the glory and worship of our great God! We will visit her family again on Friday. 

And because I am on this learning kick, here's an extra tidbit.  :)


In my past, I was pressed to articulate the strategy of my prayer life. What underlying messages did I believe as I approached the King of the Universe? What did I believe my prayers were for? Why was I praying?  

What this challenging exercise revealed was surprising to me, as I would never have explained my prayer theology beseeching such a limited God. If I saw a need for intercession, I began to inform God of the need, praying for a certain outcome. Then he would influence the situation. 
Sounds kind of dumb, huh? (borrowed graphics from a worker in an undisclosed location) When I stepped away, I knew this wasn't what I believed of God and so why was I approaching him like this?

A different mindset on prayer has changed the way I intercede and it brings so much more joy instead of drudging along in duty.  
And then...
And finally...
I love it. Praise be to God. Join with us in prayer for Alimitu.

I would love to hear your thoughts? What is your prayer strategy? Do you agree or disagree with the ideas proposed in the graphics?





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy,

I totally agree with the graphics. I love seeing God in the Center!

Praying for Alimitu!

Klint

Teresa said...

I'm in agreement with the graphics, however, I OFTEN fail. God tells us, sees the needs and influences the need. We just need to pray believing and follow through.

Thanks for posting this and making me think about my prayers.

Love you!