Monday, April 2, 2018

One-Year Old

The fresh mountain air fills our lungs. We are back in Injibara and so glad. Though there are many uncertainties with life in the Ethiopian highlands, it is also the place we feel most settled. How is that for a paradox? We sent out a recent newsletter. If one didn’t hit your inbox and you want to receive riveting info, please let me know. 

Since we’ve been back, our time has been full. It’s great to be back in the swing of community rhythms but the pace feels a little break neck the next few weeks. 

Do you remember the story of the mom who lost her mind and ran away from her home? Thanks for your prayers. I met the mother, she is back in her home, staring blankly at the ceiling of the mud house, holding her baby’s blanket in her hand. The baby for whom we prayed. We bought formula and helped the father. The baby just turned one and he died. I know, what? how? why? I sat outside with Yeshi and the baby’s father, fighting anger at the whole situation, not understanding where God is working in this family. Their two other small children playing nearby, Yeshi and I lifted the family up to the Almighty Creator, who sees, knows and orchestrates all things.

And life marches on, small flocks out to pasture at the break of day, the pounding of coffee in the mortar and pestle, the laughter of people gathered, building new houses. 

Aubrey is here with us in this “year-of-the-girl” in our household. She is from my hometown though because of our age difference, I know her mom more than her.  :) We are so thankful to be blessed with her presence for the next 3.5 months. 

IMG 5200

Until I get more photos, rest assured, we are not breaking her in easy. She brings joy and energy. Please pray for her health as well as we went through a terrible virus and she vacillates between “sick” and “recovering”. She is trooper.

Easter is coming, for us a week later in Ethiopia. Please join us in praying for our neighbors hearts. Yesterday we celebrated Palm Sunday, strange to be one week behind. 

IMG 2414

We have five new sets of neighbors as there is a push of homes being built nearer to the main road.

DSC 0710

Watching the mud process. A mix of mud, straw and cow manure. It doesn’t smell but sets up hard and strong.

DSC 0715

The women prepare the food for the crowd of workers.

DSC 0731

I love this shot, Little Miss T’s chubby hand extended., She is such a greeter, which fits amazingly well in this culture.

And as we mourn our neighbor baby, we do not miss the irony and tremendous weight of blessing to celebrate this little one-year-old. We celebrated when my parents were here and because they missed Tiger’s birthday too, we celebrated both babies. Also because, how do you tell a one-year old the party isn’t for them. ;) As Miss T nears Tiger in mobile milestones, they operate like twins. Miss T started walking at 10 months, I think mostly because she thinks she can do anything that Tiger does. These two operate like puppies, piling on each other, rolling around the floor together, sometimes  hurting the other but without malintention.

IMG 7930

Someone was feeling happy about the party!

IMG 7945

And can we just take a moment to appreciate this perfection?

IMG 7978

IMG 7970

IMG 8031

Humbled by this gift, our fourth gift of laughter and joy. 

IMG 8043

 

Regarding our internet situation, it has never been great in our house. Upon returning this time, we realized it was better than we gave it credit for when Whitney was using WhatsApp with her fiancee every day. We were so glad for it, not constant but decent. When it turned off everywhere outside of Addis on December 13th, we thought it would be short. However, we still have no connection. Jon is working on his online classes and can drive 20 minutes for slow and inconsistent broadband, not ideal but if there is power, we can limp along. Any of my communication comes when I prepare texts or posts in advance and he takes my computer along. I am not in a stage of life where getting outside of our neighborhood is easy. It’s a challenge to feel cut-off, join conversations late if not missing them completely. All of this isn’t just to be one long excuse for my inconsistency but to try to explain if you haven’t heard back from me on something, I am sorry. I am praying the data in the countryside would be turned back on shortly because of the connection it brings. Plus pinterest. I like pinterest.

6 comments:

Shari said...

I was reading along, rejoicing about the mother returning to her family. As I read on, I began to weep regarding the news of the death of of her one year old. Really? Really? I read a devotional this morning regarding living the life with Romans 8:28 as our future grace. Future grace? If I believe that all things work together for good to them that love God and are the called according to His purpose, then I know that He sees this woman. Her husband. Her family. He knows them. He loves them. I am overcome with grief for this family, but know that God is working all things for His good. May you take comfort in His goodness as you grieve the loss of this precious one year old.

sarah.flyingkites said...

Shari, your comment made me tear up. Such true words.

Amy, thanks for sharing the joys and sorrows in your journey. Thanks for letting us tag along too. Prayers.

Your babies are just too much :)

J and M said...

I too have prayed for this mamma/family and I'm so grief stricken as your mom described so well. I will continue to pray God's mercy and comfort over this family. I also rejoice over tiger and T's sweet chubby faces. Kiss their cheeks all of the time. I'm praying over internet, health, and endurance. God is so faithful. We love you.

Teresa said...

This is a bittersweet post. Prayers for this hurting family. I can't imagine. Prayers for all of you for safety, good health, great life experiences, love, happiness...and the list goes on. But mostly that God will continue to guide and bless your steps. Love you! Todd and Teresa

T and M said...

Thanks for sharing the highs and lows. I love seeing your babes, your kids are such gifts... and certainly grieve and pray for your neighbor with empty arms.

Margo said...

So good to read about how things are going. Your kids are beautiful! Thanks for the update. I pray for you every week! Love-Margo