Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Forward Motion

They say the kids do only as well as the parents are doing. The Littles are doing great, processing the future in a simple, factual way.

As I have been packing up bins (Yay for travelers to Ethiopia willing to haul totes for us!), The Littles are onboard, helpfully bringing items, “Mama, can we take this to Ethiopia?” Sometimes I can answer yes and other times I explain the spacing issues.

Dirt 007

(They were playing so nice outside so I paparazzied them with the long lens and discovered they were eating dirt!)

Little A brought me a picture of themselves. She told me who she was going to give it to and then said, “So they don’t forget what I look like when I move to Ethiopia”. I took a deep breath and around the lump in my throat said, “That is so cool you’re thinking this through. Maybe they could give you a picture of them to take with you.” She smiled and skipped off.

Praise the Lord, The Littles must feel all of our travel and transition is the new normal, that everyone is packing up their lives, one Rubbermaid at a time.

Packing our possessions, I am again, a heart divided. Sometimes I pack with joyful anticipation at life ahead, the people we will meet, watching God work in big ways. Other times, I am surprised by my own tears, silently sliding down and I wonder how my eyes knew I was sad before my brain did.

We are chipping away at The Littles’ books that will help them say healthy goodbyes.

   Dirt 015  Dirt 018  

Dirt 017  Dirt 016

Remember how I said that grief is emotionally painful work?  This is proving to be true but as we walk this path, one foot in front of the other, we gain momentum and joy to press forward.

10 comments:

megs @ whadusay said...

Praying for you guys!!

Christa said...

Thanks for sharing. We are praying for you guys!

leah said...

Thanks for sharing Amy, praying for you and your family!

sarah.flyingkites said...

love this post...

Danielle said...

You said it so well. These last weeks/months leading up to leaving, I can barely control the emotions. One minute I'm super excited and the next minute tears are rolling down my eyes. Praying through this with you all!

Erica Gutwein said...

I loved meeting you and Jon the other night and hearing your story! We are praying for you through it all!

Amber said...

This post made me cry . . .but just at your beautiful, authentic and transparent faith you have shared. I think back to those hard months of wrestling and telling God you wanted His will . . .and I see His faithful provision as you share and process these steps of getting ready to go. And I love that He is blessing your girls through it too.

I can only imagine the breadth of emotions but I pray you continue to see, so clearly, God's hand of provision and His cradling of all your hearts as you move forward in obedience.

Sandra said...

You, Jon, and your adorable little girls are on our prayer list. Thanks again for sharing with us what your plans are in ethiopia...God is FAITHFUL!!

smw said...

this is a neat testimony. that there is joy and not just pain in the grieving and goodbyes. :) so glad.

Justin & Sarah said...

We pray for you guys every night, and will continue to do so! Love and hugs!