Thursday, January 11, 2018

Luxeccesities

Life’s been a little on the low side. It’s seen in our routines (6 different locations for our family since Christmas Eve), sleep patterns, in every luxeccesity (my word i created during one of my many nighttime wakes).

Luxeccesity: (n) luxuries for most in the country that are perceived necessities for me, example, power, running water, internet.

This morning the water came. I was so happy and waiting for a shower but then there was no hot water because of a power problem. Hmm. hot water is also another one of my luxeccesities. We’ve been flushing our toilet with buckets (especially hard as we’ve been passing around a stomach bug along with a cold), filling small tubs with boiled water hauled from buckets for the babies’ bath time.  hopping online when we see the signal to find internet.

Now, to move on from my whining, all the night time wake-ups, kids in our bed, gave me time to mentally frame this blog post. :) As I lay between two kids (a big and a little), I know I wouldn’t change it. Yes, I would change that water runs from the pipes, I would choose internet and that we could be in our village home in Injibara, but I was flooded with thankfulness for these four children, as circus-like as we may be, the man God has given me who is an amazing father and has incredible vision for how to see the Word of God spread here. As much as I dread the revolving door of cross-cultural workers here and so. many. GOODBYES, I also am blessed by the many deep friendships here. 

We are in Addis Ababa for the time being and as internet has been cut in the countryside, we’ve made the hard choice that we need to stay in Addis Ababa until internet is turned back on in the countryside as Jon is working on his MBA on an online program. He has a heavy load this semester. I know God uses this time, we are abundantly blessed in our Addis relationships, with Ethiopian and expatriates alike. I also crave our life in the village, busy in some ways but so much more peaceful in others. And that is our home. 

IMG 6602

In the mornings when both babies want mama. It’s so cute and quickly turns painful as they crawl all over me like a jungle gym.

We currently have two Awi medical patients in Addis and it has been a blessing to be in contact here (but so hard…hospitals here are very difficult for me). God is astounding us with how He is blessing our time in the capital and connecting the new project we get to steward, KIBIR Consulting (Kingdom Impact Business and Investment Resources) by bringing a dynamite and godly manager as well as connections and excitement pouring from unknown places and meetings that leave us undoubtedly sure God is moving this concept forward.

 

Do any of you choose a word upon starting your new year? I would love to hear yours. I have never done it before but I give words a year in retrospect. This year, I do want to focus on a word and the word that keeps coming back to me is abundant. Even though I am now in a low circumstantial time, I praise the God of abundance and the ways He deals abundantly with me. Abundant grace, abundant mercy, abundant children, abundant ministry.  Praise Him. 

Now a glimpse from past pictures.

Before Christmas, as we studied the Renaissance in school, Eliza practiced a Christmas song with the girls so they could have a recital. It was adorable. These dresses were from Great-Grandma and have been perfectly timed with our renaissance study. :)

IMG 6585

They were so nervous as they played for us and Mark and Debbie but also proud.

IMG 6582

Eliza played a Christmas song first on the violin.

IMG 6588

A asked if we could all close our eyes.

IMG 6590

J beamed the whole song.

IMG 6571

We had a “reception" and I loved the dress hoops as the girls considered which dessert to have.

IMG 6572

Yay for Renaissance ladies! Who I let have free reign on the treats. 5 cookies each went on their plates and I smiled and shut my mouth.

IMG 6601

And yay for Mark and Debbie dressing up and blessing us with their attendance.

Thanks for reading and praying us along. We love you.

1 comment:

Shari said...

Such a great update! I get your "luxessities" word. Too bad we didn't teach you how to camp and enjoy cold showers, huh? LOVE the pictures. Love these kids. Love you all!