Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Rest of Day 6

Well, this morning was my first "solo" morning.  My Mom was coming at 1:00 pm.  No sweat.  Jada only woke up a few times and Adia slept until 4:20 am!  I know, a great thing, except I still kept waking up, looking at the clock and freaking out.  I would get out of bed and make sure the sweet thing was still breathing!  They took great naps and then...breakdown.  I had two fussy babies on my hands and I hate having to choose which one to comfort.  We went on a stroller ride and they both fell asleep.  Note to self, next time they fall asleep in the stroller, KEEP WALKING!  I went to lay them down in bed and they opened those beautiful eyes and smiled, as if to say, "Ha, the jokes on you Mom!"  No more sleeping babies!  

Thanks for all of those who commented on ideas for formula/digestion.  I guess I do feel a little desperate to nail something down before we run out of Ethiopian formula.  :) 

Wrapping Up Mekele Trip...

The marking on the boy's forehead is typical in the Tigray region. Many faces are intentionally scarred in patterns. This boy had a cross on his forehead, signaling he is from the orthodox church.
These girls came down from the mountain to practice their English with me.  They were so sweet.  They wanted a pen, unfortunately I didn't have one on me.  We were asked for pens multiple times. 
Oddest request, one woman asked me for my bra.  It took a few minutes for me to understand what she wanted and I am sure watching me realize what she was asking for was comical.  I wasn't able to oblige, but it was a really humbling moment for me.
The girls showed me their homework. It is hard to read, but one sentence says, "My favorite subject is English because English is the key of all subjects".
Scarves were everywhere!  The white scarves signify Orthodox, black scarves Muslim and the millions of other scarves, possibly Muslim, possibly Orthodox, or possibly just the way they are dressed.
We saw camels!  I have a really funny story about this, but it wouldn't be the same in writing.  Just know, after this moment where we lost ourselves over a camel sighting, I commented, "Wow, I have never felt more American".
The Monument in Tigray is celebrating the peasants revolt and sacrifice for freedom.  I would write more, but the history is a little fuzzy for me right now.  Brian, would you like to educate us? :)

Plus, we kind of look like a rock band or something...
It was at the monument I was interviewing one of our guides on the history of the monument and I realized he personally knew the girls' father.  (He is a social worker with IAG) Wow!  We have about 10 minutes on tape of him recalling everything he knows about him and the family.  In one training we went to, we heard that a photo of a birthparents, is worth a year in therapy. Hopefully this will mean something to the girls. 

In the interview, Biranu, talks about how small the girls were when they came, why their father gave them up, "they would have died", when the mother died, who cared for the girls, information about their siblings, information about the father and his job.  Wow, wow, wow. Such an amazing blessing!

Okay, that is all for now!  Day seven is our "Gotcha Day" so stay tuned!

2 comments:

--John.and.Amy said...

Amy, I love the pictures of the girls and stories from Ethiopia. I think I just read all the entries from the past week at once. I can't believe the driving is dangerous because of donkeys and cows. Love it! :)

Hey, I have absolutely nothing going on right now, so if you would like some help next week (or ever) I would love to come over. I don't have to hold Jada and Adia but I could bring groceries or cooked food, clean for you, or push the girls in their stroller while you walk... seriously. I have nothing going on and don't mind cleaning other people's homes :)

Amy K

emilykate said...

Love reading about your trip! Praise God!