Sunday, March 9, 2014

Firsts

I turned 30 this weekend. Thirty. T-h-i-r-t-y. The big three zero.

Jon and the Littles celebrated me well. We’ve moved to Ethiopia over 9 months ago and starting with our nearly missed July fourth to Jon’s 30 birthday in October, girls’ birthday in November, Thanksgiving, Christmas, 6th anniversary and my 30th, we’ve done a lot of celebrating. Here, away from our USA roots. I realized that we’ve made it through most of our holidays (well 3/4 of a year). I’m a mix of relief and joy over this realization because, we made it through so many of the big ones. Not that there weren’t sad, homesick days and not that there will not be in the future but I praise the Lord we have this many firsts under our belt. 

On my birthday, I told Jon I wanted to go shopping, by myself. So, he dropped me off at the mall…err…market and I bargained my way through shops and then drank macchiatos with a friend. 

Then, our totes we were originally going to get a bit after Christmas arrived and we got them on my birthday (along with a care package from a sweet group of women who we barely know but they blessed us). I had gifts galore (as well as a tall stack of Christmas cards)! Jon and the Littles opened their gifts too. The best kind of birthday surprise. We also got to celebrate Valentine’s day as our V-day treats arrived (and the three rose bouquets I got for my birthday!). 

IMG 9314  Version 3

I’ve had this crew alongside for every single day. The sad ones and the fun ones and they make everything better.

And because it was my birthday, everyone obliged for a quick, self-timered family snapshot. 

Pretty sure I am the most spoiled woman in the country right now.

Thanks for all your love, prayers and birthday wishes. I think your 30’s are the best years, right? ;)

 

 

8 comments:

genaye said...

Happy Birthday! May God's blessing shower you and your family this year!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday dearest Amy!! So glad you got super spoiled and celebrated! You are a very special lady and we love seeing your joy radiant through all those beautiful family pictures...
So, happy 30th... my how time flies... doesnt seem that long ago I celebrated your birthdays with you during those good ole babysitting days. Im forever grateful for the memories and more so that we have a special friendship!
Much love and hugs to you this special day(oops, one day late!:()
Heidi C.

sarah.flyingkites said...

Thought of you on your big day. So glad you were able to make the best of it and felt celebrated. I'm right behind you...30 seems UNREAL.

Great fam pic!

bri said...

Happy 30th!

emilykate said...

Happy belated. Really cool the bonds your little family is making as you navigate the ups and downs together!

Anonymous said...

I love the family picture! You all look so joyful! Love you bunches, Mom

Unknown said...

Great pic of you guys! Glad you had such a great birthday!

MaryD said...

Love your blog even though I don't always comment. The photo is so darling! Glad you were well celebrated by many who love you!!