Monday, May 13, 2013

Tick Tock

The countdown is on. If I quiet myself and sit for a moment, I can hear the ticking clock, with each beat, reminding me, “Just keep moving, forward progress!” I think of Dory from Finding Nemo, “Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming…” And we do.

Our weekend was sweet, blessed to have a reliable vehicle to get from place to place, hugging, laughing and talking…and some tears. Those who know me well know me at all know that tears are as common to me as words themselves. If I  feel strong emotion, joy, sadness, etc, I cry. Needless to say, there were tears and times when the bitter threatened to overwhelm the sweet but by the grace of God, we keep swimming.

We said goodbye to siblings and nieces and nephews. I cried through the hugs and choked out “I love you’s”, not able to say much else. My tears dripped on little heads as they looked up at me with questioning eyes. I assured them we were okay.

I can’t imagine how different this scene will look in two years. 9 grandkids, who recently discovered it is GREAT to play together and two amazing grandparents.

Gerst Grandkids 

Goodbyes were hard on the girls. It was all too much for Little A and we are praying them through this time.

Jon and I have our last training, starting tomorrow. The Littles get to stay at Uncle Nick and Aunt Kristen’s. I am tired today and sad to leave my kids but overflowing with my God who personally holds me in His hands, Who comforts me in goodbyes, confirms His plans for us among the Awi and cloaks me with His love.

June 2nd, we will have a commissioning service at our local, sending church and then an evening open house for anyone who would be interested. You can contact me with more information. I promise to do all I can to not cry…too much. :)

On June 4th, we will ride up to Chicago, in preparation for our early morning flight on June 5th.

Bless you. Bless you for reading, for introducing yourself, for loving, for caring, for praying.

Tick, tock, tick, tock.

Oops, have to keep swimming!

13 comments:

Jessica said...

Can't imagine how hard the goodbyes are for you guys. I'm looking forward to reading your updates from Ethiopia and seeing God's faithfulness!

sarah.flyingkites said...

Oh AMY! How do you always tug at the heart strings like this?!

Thanks for sharing...I'll be prayerful.

Ashley Baner said...

So thankful for your honesty. It is sometimes so hard to be fully surrendered to Christ's plan for our lives. So thankful. HE is going with you and before you. Love your commitment to the African people. Praying you can enjoy every moment and have a smooth transition!

Sandra said...

Amy, I want to apologize to you for not talking more on sunday with you. We were serving lunch and my mind was very much on that!! I wish I would have thought less about lunch serving and more about wishing you well and giving you a nice long hug letting you know we are truly praying for your family!! Your girls are so dear to us and we love you and Jon very much and pray God will be near and dear in Ethiopia. LOVE YOU GUYS!!

erica said...

Praying for you all, and wishing you God's peace and strength each day!

Christen Leigh said...

Well now you're making me cry. ;) Also not a big shock, I guess..... love and prayers!

christine said...

Sometimes following where He leads is the scariest thing ever but obedience is the only option. A life verse of mine in challenging times, "When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I." (Psalm 61:2)

Nichole said...

"If I feel strong emotion, joy, sadness, etc, I cry." I relate to that too well!
I am so excited for you guys and am praying for you!

Sheila said...

Praying for all of you! I am in complete awe of your faith and bravery!

Anonymous said...

Aww, Amy!

I always enjoy reading your blog, keeping up with your beautiful and amazing family. Sometimes, there are times like these that we just cry with you. Tears are a language that show how we really feel inside when words cant express. So the tears you cry are really ok.:)They show us how deeply you love those you say goodbye to...and you see us crying alongside you. When you see us cry be assured you will be taking a part of us with you. Our thougths and prayers will always be with you.:) Dont doubt that!!:) We love you so much and trust God to carry you through this difficult 'goodbye for now' season. We are excited for you in many ways as we know God will do BIG things through your faithfulness in following alongside HIM! Its our hope you can keep us updated. You know, we all gotta know how it goes for you to teach others how to make cheese, milk a cow, etc in a faraway land. You know how to make life so fun and boy do you know how to make us laugh. You are an inspiration, Amy... you have a heart that is so big and beautiful. God bless you once again for allowing us to be a part of this journey.:)
Blessings and abundance prayers,
Heidi Carrico

Carissa said...

Praying for you!

Rachel said...

We love you guys, Amy...we will be praying for you!

megs @ whadusay said...

Lifting you up in prayer!